"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Circa 1968. 400 block of Main. Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald

UNION-HOERMANN PRESS. In 1894 William Steuck founded UNION PRINTING COMPANY. Originally located at 135 West 5th Street, Union Printing Company relocated in 1927 across the street into a two-story building at 158 West 5th Street. In 1937, Allan SIGMAN took over the business from his father-in-law. The business was relocated to 456 Main Street in Dubuque.

In 1949, Jim Sigman joined his father’s company. As URBAN RENEWAL got under way, Union Printing Company and other downtown Dubuque businesses began looking for new locations. A meeting during this time between Jim Sigman and Stan Accola, owner of HOERMANN PRESS (THE), led to the merger of the two companies in 1968. The construction of the present facility at 2175 Kerper Boulevard in Dubuque was begun.

During the 1970s, Union-Hoermann Press replaced machinery. As Allan Sigman’s health began to decline, Jim took over day-to-day business operations. When Stan Accola retired, Jim’s sons, Randy and Brian entered the family business.

In 1985, Randy Sigman got his start as an account representative and in 1989, Brian Sigman began working in the bindery. Throughout the 1990s Randy was responsible for the day-to-day operations and continued growth of the company. Additional account representatives were added along with a building expansion.

In 2009, Jim Sigman passed away. Brian became Facilities Manager and Randy served as President.

From 1970 through 2014 the company was located at 2175 Kerper Blvd.



"History of Union-Hoermann Press," Online: http://uhpress.com/about/history/