"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
HOERMANN PRESS (THE)
HOERMANN PRESS (THE). In 1905 Charles S. HOERMANN established the Hoermann Press in Dubuque and operated it one year from the BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING. The company was moved to 8th and Locust STREETS until 1926 when it was relocated to 346 8th Avenue.
The 1909 Dubuque City Directory and the 1913 Dubuque and Dubuque County Directory listed 87 8th.
The 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory listed 69 8th as the address.
The 1922 Dubuque Telephone Directory listed 305 W. 8th.
The 1929 through 1939 Dubuque City Directory listed 346-50 W. 8th.
The 1941 through 1959 Dubuque City Directory listed 498 Main.
The 1962 through 1968 Dubuque City Directory listed 302 Locust.
With the beginning of URBAN RENEWAL in Dubuque, downtown businesses began looking for new locations. James SIGMAN of the UNION PRINTING COMPANY and Stan Accola, owner of Hoermann Press, met during this period and discuss a merger when occurred in 1968 forming UNION-HOERMANN PRESS