"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE STONE PRODUCTS COMPANY
DUBUQUE STONE PRODUCTS COMPANY. Established in 1926, Dubuque Stone Products Company one year later was processing 2,000 tons of stone daily. The quarry and plant were located near the MISSISSIPPI RIVER at a point directly opposite the Illinois-Wisconsin state boundary line. Both benefited from being along the CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE, AND ST. PAUL RAILROAD tracks and on the Mississippi Warrior Barge Line. A switching agreement in 1927 was also reached with the CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN RAILROAD and the CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY RAILROAD. (1)
Stone from the quarry in addition to being used in the Dubuque area was shipped to parts of Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin for use in road construction, foundry flux, building construction, rip rap along streams, and for agricultural purposes. (2)
Officials of the company included G. D. Rose, president; Paul M. Nauman, secretary-treasurer and general manager; and H. R. Manahl, superintendent. (3)
In 1976 when Mulgrew Blacktop Inc. closed, the asphalt business in Dubuque was reduced from three down to the Tri-State Paving Division of Dubuque Stone Products Company and TSCHIGGFRIE COMPANIES. (4)
The company was listed at 2900 Rhomberg in the 1929 and 1934 Dubuque City Directory.
In 1941 the company was located at 504 Garfield.
The 1942 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 2900 Rhomberg and 504 Garfield.
The 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 420 Garfield.
The 1957 through 1980 Dubuque City Directory listed 504 Garfield.
1. "Dubuque Stone Products Company," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, September 4, 1927, p. 9
4. "Mulgrew Blacktop Sells Asphalt Business," Telegraph Herald, June 25, 1978, p. 20
"Chronology" Telegraph Herald, 1979 p. 15D