"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE PRESSED BRICK COMPANY
DUBUQUE PRESSED BRICK COMPANY. Articles of incorporation for the company were adopted at a meeting held on November 9, 1892. The directors were Charles J. W., James LEVI, James HOWIE, A. J. Parker, Albert Ney, Evan E. JONES, and Joseph J. GRIGG. (1)
Located on the hill behind GLAB BREWERY, the proposed brickyard in October, 1892 announced that it was negotiating with an Indianapolis factory for machinery. Under consideration was a pressed brick machine with a daily capacity of 10,000 to 14,000 brick and an ordinary brick making machine with a capacity of 40,000 to 50,000. Clay found in the region was suitable for raw material. (2)
The company was created in response to the difficulty in getting brick from local yards during labor strife. (3)
1. "A New Enterprise," Dubuque Daily Herald, November 10, 1892, p. 4.
2. "Municipal Molecules," Dubuque Daily Herald, October 26, 1892, p. 4.