"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
ST. MARY'S CREDIT UNION
ST. MARY'S CREDIT UNION. Organized on February 2, 1934, St. Mary's was named the second largest parish credit union in Iowa in 1958. Membership, standing at 950 in 1958, grew continuously but especially after WORLD WAR II when life savings insurance for shareholders and loan protective insurance for borrowers was started. Individuals had to be shareholders to borrow money from the organization.
A new office was the organization was constructed in the church basement in 1956. Prior to that, credit union operations were handled from a small room.
The 1968 through 1974 Dubuque City Directory listed 15th and White.
The 1977 through 1987 Dubuque City Directory listed 195 E. 14th St.
"Second Largest in State," Telegraph Herald, May 25, 1958, p. 13