"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
SECOND NATIONAL BANK
SECOND NATIONAL BANK. Second National Bank was chartered in January, 1876 and opened for business on May 15th, 1876. (1) The announcement of the opening was made days before the vault door, which had been ordered, actually arrived. (2) The officers included William L. BRADLEY, Sr., president ; William P. LARGE, vice president; and G. V. Smock, cashier. Judson Keith DEMING was the the messenger and clerk. The bank was capitalized at $100,000. (3) William L. Bradley resigned as president in 1884 and was succeeded by George Benjamin BURCH. Upon his death, he was succeeded by Judson Keith DEMING who had been the vice president. (4)
For its first twenty-four years, the bank was located on the northwest corner of Main and Sixth STREETS. In 1899 it purchased property on the southeast corner of Main and 6th and erected a new building in 1900. (5)
In 1900 the Dubuque Savings Bank was organized as an auxiliary of Second National. (6) It continued to operate as a separate institution until their consolidation in 1922.
In 1922 discussions began for a merger with the Dubuque National Bank which had been in operation since 1884. Dubuque National had recently acquired Citizens' State Bank. The proposed merger was finalized on January 1, 1923 with the new bank being called Consolidated National Bank. This operated under the charter of the former Second National Bank. The original officers of Consolidated National Bank included Judson K. Deming, president; James M. Burch, vice president; George W. Myers, vice president; Herman Eschen, secretary; and Joseph W. Meyer, cashier. (7)
In 1926 Consolidated National Bank had deposits in excess of $5 million which was five times the total of deposits of all the banks in Dubuque in 1876. (8)
Consolidated closed its doors in 1932 during the GREAT DEPRESSION.
The 1915 Dubuque City Directory listed the address as 598 Main.
1. "Its Anniversary," Dubuque Daily Herald, February 2, 1896, p. 8
2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, May 11, 1876, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18760511&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
3. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-20-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml
4. "Consolidated Bank Celebrating Golden Anniversary Now," Telegraph Herald, May 16, 1926, p. 16. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=djVFAAAAIBAJ&sjid=brsMAAAAIBAJ&pg=7098,129188&dq=dubuque+banks&hl=en
"Butchers, Bankers, and Cabinet Makers," Booklet accompanying the exhibit of artifacts by Robert Reding at the OLD JAIL 2007-2010