"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
SCHREIBER AND CONCHAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY
SCHREIBER AND CONCHAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY. The Schreiber and Conchar Manufacturing Company was the successor of J. MACLAY & CO. and was first listed in city directories in 1883. (1) The company was operated as a wholesale and retail center for their manufactured metal goods and those of A.Y.MCDONALD MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
In 1889 a new factory was constructed. Having three times the capacity of the old plant, the factory employed between fifteen and twenty workers with products including wire stretchers, hay fork pulleys, and post molds. (2)
In 1906 the company after its merger with WESTPHAL AND HINDS was described as the largest manufacturer of sad irons in the world and the world's second largest manufacturer of registers for ventilating purposes.
Christian LOETSCHER, E.C. Loetscher, and J. A. Ryan were listed as partners by 1906.
According to the 1883 Dubuque City Directory, this business was located at 768 Main.
The 1884-1885 Dubuque City Directory listed 768 Main and 761-767 Iowa.
The 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory listed 761-767 Iowa.
In 1906 the company was listed on South Main.
1. "J. Maclay & Company," Dubuque Herald, January 5, 1882, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18820105&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Local News in Brief," The Herald, July 34, 1889, p. 4
"Schreiber-Conchar Company," Telegraph Herald, September 30, 1906, p. 23