"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Trade Card. Photo courtesy: Joseph Jacobsmeier

J. MACLAY & CO. Beginning in 1858, J. Maclay was a tinsmith in Dubuque. (1) He sold his business in March 1874 to an employee, J. C. PAINE. (2)

Maclay continued in the retail business. (3) Ill health caused him to retire in 1882 prompting his employees to present him with a gold-headed cane. His successor was SCHREIBER AND CONCHAR MANUFACTURING COMPANY, named for two men who were associated with the business for many years. (4)

The 1880 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was to be found at 768 Main.





1. "J. Maclay & Company," Dubuque Herald, January 5, 1882, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18820105&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, March 8, 1874, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18740308&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

3. "To the Public," Dubuque Herald, March 5, 1874, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18740305&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

4. "J. Maclay & Company"