"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
IOWA LUMBER COMPANY
IOWA LUMBER COMPANY. The mill along CATFISH CREEK was constructed in 1857 by W. L. Lumbert and C. Bradford at a cost of $35,000. In 1858 J. D. Lumbert and J. N. Handy purchased Mr. Bradford's interest and in 1865 E. B. Lumbert and Company took possession. This became Lumbert, Schofield and Company in 1869.
The mill was then sold to the Iowa Lumber Company which was composed of Merrill, Schofield, Ice, and Handy. Improvements to the company up to 1875 had cost an estimated $40,000. (1)
In 1875 the mills were leased to INGRAM, KENNEDY & DAY for the production of lumber. Over two million feet of lumber and 700,000 lath were stored on the grounds. (2)
One of the greatest FIRES in local history destroyed the mills and its product on November 18, 1875. (3)
The 1875-1876 Dubuque City Directory gave the address as the southeast corner of 7th and White.
"The Great Fire," Dubuque Herald, November 20, 1875, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18751120&printsec=frontpage&hl=en