"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
HIGLEY-MEYER ELECTRIC COMPANY
HIGLEY-MEYER ELECTRIC COMPANY. Higley-Meyer was founded in June 1919 as the Appel-Higley Electric Shop by Howard W. Higley and William F. Appel. The company, located at 6th and Central in Dubuque, was relocated in November 1919 to 962 Main. Howard HIGLEY, Jr. joined the firm in June 1937 while attending school.
William Appel left the company in May 1945 and Edward J. Meyer joined the firm as secretary-treasurer in charge of store and appliance sales. After service in WORLD WAR II, Higley rejoined the firm in February 1946 as vice-president in charge of the contracting department. The store was remodeled in 1945 and the name changed to Higley-Meyer.
The company motto was "We Have Built Our Business By Giving Our Customers Service." (1)
The 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 765 Iowa.
The 1955 and 1959 Dubuque City Directory listed 962 Main and 2196 Central.
The 1964 through 1987 Dubuque City Directory listed 962 Main.
The company closed its business in Dubuque in 1991.
1. "Higley-Meyer Electric Company," Telegraph-Herald, June 17, 1951 p. 8
Chronology '79, Telegraph Herald, p. 7