"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
FRANK BERWANGER BOILER & BLACKSMITH SHOP
FRANK BERWANGER BOILER & BLACKSMITH SHOP. The 1945 Dubuque City Directory listed 501 Central.
The location may have been a blacksmith shop for over one hundred years. The 25.5 foot strip extended from Central Avenue to an alley. It was first recorded by Ezekiel Lockwood in 1840, but no record of when the building was constructed was found. The owner in 1954 remembered having horses shod there in 1896. John Volienweider, the blacksmith then, was followed by Frank Berwanger. (1)
1. "Century-Old Smithy Victim of Progress," Telegraph Herald, March 14, 1954