"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




CARR, William Wyatt

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search

CARR, William Wyatt (Elmira, NY, May 23, 1824--Dubuque, IA, Dec. 3, 1909). Carr arrived in Dubuque in 1866. (1) He had been working in Chicago and while there had married the daughter of J. W. Smith of Dubuque. In partnering with W. H. Austin the same year, they formed CARR, AUSTIN AND COMPANY, one of the first millwork companies in Dubuque.

Originally located at the foot of Main Street, the company was totally destroyed by fire in 1879. (2) The company then purchased PATCH & WAITE near 9th and Jackson. His name was remembered through six CARADCO reorganizations. (3)

In the community, Carr was closely associated with the YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION (Y.M.C.A.). He was also one of the largest contributors to the public library and served as an eLder in the SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. (4) In 1878 Carr served as a trustee of the SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. (5) To escape the cold weather of February and March, Carr and his wife left the city for two months to winter in Hot Springs, Arkansas. (6)

---

Source:

1. Loetscher, Carole. Wood: The History of Farley & Loetscher Manufacturing Company Once the Largest Millwork Company in the World, 2017, p. 14.

2. "Adjustors Present," The Daily Herald, November 9, 1879, p. 4

3. Loetscher, 14

4. "W. W. Carr Passes to His Reward," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, December 4, 1909, p. 3

5. "The Second Presbyterian Church," The Daily Herald, February 15 1878, p. 4

6. Personal, The Daily Herald, February 21 1878, p. 4