Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
PRESCOTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
PRESCOTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. Originally known as the Third Ward School. The building was renamed on December 23,1889, in keeping with the desire of the board of education to name every building after a famous American. In 1990 Prescott was the oldest elementary school in the DUBUQUE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT.
The first Prescott School was constructed in 1856. In April 1912, merchants on Clay Street petitioned the board of education to close the school because it was unsafe, the noise distracted the pupils, and the traffic was a hazard. A formal petition to build a new school was filed on August 8, 1912. The proposition to pass the bond levy passed by a majority of 66 percent. When bids were received, an additional $40,000 was needed to complete the building. This proposition was defeated by a vote of 60 percent. Revised plans eliminated the auditorium and gymnasium.
Prescott, located at 1249 White Street, was first occupied in 1913 and boasted unilateral lighting. Claimed to be in accordance with the most modern theories, unilateral lit rooms received light from only one side. The building was named in honor of famed historian William Hickling Prescott, a man deeply interested in Spanish history. During the 1989-1990 academic year, Prescott became the first Dubuque elementary school to complete a D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)
Administration
Christine McCarron
Nan Welch
Kathryn Kolarich
Roy Hansen
Betty Hogan
Bob Lehman
Laura Margeson
Sam Hutchison
Nancy Bradley
Janet Osberg
Ted Blanchard