Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
SHALOM RETREAT CENTER: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
SHALOM RETREAT CENTER. The Shalom Retreat Center was opened in 1989 as a place for retreats, programs, educational opportunities and meeting facilities. Located in the former motherhouse of the [[SISTERS OF THE THIRD ORDER OF ST. FRANCIS OF THE HOLY FAMILY (OSF)]], the center offered a dining room, more than fifty private bedrooms, small meeting rooms, and a large chapel/conference area. Shalom came to offer a site for thousands of people utilizing its facilities for adults retreats, youth retreats, Elderhostel and family-oriented programs. | SHALOM RETREAT CENTER. The Shalom Retreat Center was opened in 1989 as a place for retreats, programs, educational opportunities and meeting facilities. Located in the former motherhouse of the [[SISTERS OF THE THIRD ORDER OF ST. FRANCIS OF THE HOLY FAMILY (OSF)]], the center offered a dining room, more than fifty private bedrooms, small meeting rooms, and a large chapel/conference area. Shalom came to offer a site for thousands of people utilizing its facilities for adults retreats, youth retreats, Elderhostel and family-oriented programs. | ||
Constructed in 1880 for the Sisters of St. Francis | Constructed in 1880 for the Sisters of St. Francis, it became the [[IMMACULATE CONCEPTION ACADEMY]] in 1925 after the Sisters left. When [[WAHLERT CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL]] opened, the school was closed. In 1969 the facility became a retirement center for Sisters. | ||
When the Center opened, it was operated by four staff members. In 1999 due to the increased use, the Center was operated by more than 100 volunteers and a dozen staff. The Center is owned and operated by the Duhuque Franciscan Centers. | When the Center opened, it was operated by four staff members. In 1999 due to the increased use, the Center was operated by more than 100 volunteers and a dozen staff. The Center is owned and operated by the Duhuque Franciscan Centers. | ||
Line 9: | Line 9: | ||
Source: | Source: | ||
Gwiasda, Susan B. "Shalom Retreat Center Charts a Course Into the Future," Telegraph Herald, June 5, 1999, p. 20 | Gwiasda, Susan B. "Shalom Retreat Center Charts a Course Into the Future," ''Telegraph Herald'', June 5, 1999, p. 20 | ||
Latest revision as of 03:04, 17 January 2019
SHALOM RETREAT CENTER. The Shalom Retreat Center was opened in 1989 as a place for retreats, programs, educational opportunities and meeting facilities. Located in the former motherhouse of the SISTERS OF THE THIRD ORDER OF ST. FRANCIS OF THE HOLY FAMILY (OSF), the center offered a dining room, more than fifty private bedrooms, small meeting rooms, and a large chapel/conference area. Shalom came to offer a site for thousands of people utilizing its facilities for adults retreats, youth retreats, Elderhostel and family-oriented programs.
Constructed in 1880 for the Sisters of St. Francis, it became the IMMACULATE CONCEPTION ACADEMY in 1925 after the Sisters left. When WAHLERT CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL opened, the school was closed. In 1969 the facility became a retirement center for Sisters.
When the Center opened, it was operated by four staff members. In 1999 due to the increased use, the Center was operated by more than 100 volunteers and a dozen staff. The Center is owned and operated by the Duhuque Franciscan Centers.
---
Source:
Gwiasda, Susan B. "Shalom Retreat Center Charts a Course Into the Future," Telegraph Herald, June 5, 1999, p. 20
See: IMMACULATE CONCEPTION ACADEMY
SHALOM SPIRITUALITY CENTER