Encyclopedia Dubuque
"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
MASONIC TEMPLE: Difference between revisions
No edit summary |
No edit summary |
||
Line 63: | Line 63: | ||
[[Category: Buildings]] | [[Category: Buildings]] | ||
[[Category: Postcards]] | [[Category: Postcards]] | ||
[[Category: Halls]] |
Revision as of 01:47, 31 August 2011
MASONIC TEMPLE. Home of the MASONIC LODGE in Dubuque.
The newly organized Dubuque Lodge made their temporary quarters at the Shakespeare House (512 Main Street) across from the site of the present HOTEL JULIEN DUBUQUE and then took up a more permanent location over the drug store of Timothy MASON. The lodge then moved to a new building erected by Emerson and Shields on the northwest corner of 4th and Main.
From 1870 to 1895 the Lodge met at the Freemason's Hall (formerly the Julien Theater) at 5th and Locust. The order met on the third floor of the building used as the offices of INTERSTATE POWER COMPANY from 1895 to 1906. Masonic insignia may still be seen near the top of the building.
From 1906 to 1932 the First Temple was located at 11th and Locust Street on a site later used by the CARNEGIE-STOUT PUBLIC LIBRARY for its new addition. Interest in building a temple was first voiced in 1916, but uncertain conditions caused by WORLD WAR I and building restrictions led to the idea being postponed. Interest in building began again in 1921.
By 1923 a building committee had been formed. On February 13, 1924 the announcement was made that the Masonic lodges of Dubuque had purchased the property on the southeast corner of Seventh and Locust STREETS for $50,000. The old temple was demolished soon after the Masons moved to their present temple.
The 4,200-square-foot ballroom in the current temple was the scene of minstrel shows in the 1930 and until the end of WORLD WAR II big bands featuring Sammy Kaye and Dorothy Lamour. The temple became a meeting hall for as many as fourteen Masonic groups.