"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




W. W. WORMOOD

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Wormood once engraved the Lord's Prayer on a $1 gold piece. Photo courtesy:Bob Reding
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Clock mechanism
Trade Card
Trade Card

W. W. WORMOOD. The 1858-1859 and 1859-1860 Dubuque City Directory listed the address as 132 Main.

The 1868-69 through 1873-74 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as 155 Main.

In 1876, W. W. Wormood declared bankruptcy and offered his creditors forty cents on the dollar. His stock was taken by A. Cragin and sold at auction. (1) He returned to the business in 1879 and served as the treasurer of the Iowa Retailer Jewelers' Protective Association. (2)

The 1875-1876 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory gave 747 Main.

The 1903 Dubuque County Rural Route Directory listed 157 8th.

The 1909 Dubuque City Directory and the 1913 Dubuque and Dubuque County Directory stated that this company had moved at 551 Main.

---

Source:

1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, December 21, 1876, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18761221&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

2. "The Jewelers' State Convention," Dubuque Herald, March 23, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790323&printsec=frontpage&hl=en