"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
T. W. RUETE DRUG COMPANY
T. W. RUETE DRUG COMPANY. Theodore RUETE received his pharmacist degree in Prussia. He came to the United States in 1861 and was soon employed in a a drug store in New York City. He served in the CIVIL WAR and then reentered the drug store business in New York and later Philadelphia.
In 1873 Ruete moved to Dubuque and established the PIONEER DRUG STORE. This was located at 379 Main the establishment formerly occupied by the Good Samaritan Drug Store operated by Dr. T. Mason and P.C. Samson. In 1876 Ruete moved his growing business to the Langworthy Block at 568 Main.
In April of 1890 the company installed the "Raphael," a "mammoth" soda fountain constructed of ten different kinds of marble and costing $1,200. (1)
The store was relocated in 1897 to 656 Main. The pharmacy was reorganized as the T.W. Ruete Drug Company in 1907 and continued business into the 1920s.
1. "Changes for the Better," Dubuque Daily Herald, April 26, 1890, p. 4
Burggraaf, Mike and Southard, Tom. The Antique Bottles of Iowa. Northfield, OH: Ohio Wholesale Copy Service, 1998