"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
SULLIVAN'S PICNIC GROUNDS
SULLIVAN'S PICNIC GROUNDS. A popular park near Peru Road, the land was once used by George Wallace JONES who had several cabins constructed to store provisions for miners along the Maquoketa River.
In 1833 Thomas MCKNIGHT obtained a homestead of 620 acres including the land on which the cabins had been constructed.
Frank Sullivan who acquired the land around 1900 remembered being told that one cabin still in existence in 1951 had a sod roof and no windows. It had been moved to the rear of his house. He knew that the cabin once housed a land office. The Sullivans used it for storage.
Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Madsen purchased the Sullivan property around 1951. They planned to use the cabin as a tool house.
"Log Cabin in Which U. S. Sold Land a Century Ago Still Stands," The Telegraph-Herald, October 7, 1951, p. 17