"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
STATE CAPITAL. Four original squares were given to the city when it was founded. One became JACKSON PARK. A ten-acre tract where the courthouse stood in 1880 and northward was a second. The third was located where the old jail was located and the fourth was later the site of WASHINGTON PARK.
The ten-acre tract was obtained in order to use it as a donation to secure the state capital. If that effort failed, it was to be used for any other public object.
Oldt, Franklin T. and Patrick J. Quigley. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Goodspeed Historical Association, p. 97