"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
STANDARD OIL COMPANY
STANDARD OIL COMPANY. The presence of Standard Oil Company in Dubuque began with the business dealings it had with Marshall M. WALKER. Standard was the only distributor of oils and gasoline operating in Dubuque. It remained in that position for nearly twenty-five years. The first competitor was the KEY CITY OIL COMPANY. (1)
The 1911-12 and 1913 Dubuque and Dubuque County Directory gave this business address as 201-202 BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING.
The 1915 Dubuque City Directory and the 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory listed 402 Main as the address.
The 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed S. Main.
The 1934 Dubuque City Directory listed the office and plant at 300 S. Main and stations at 2nd and Locust, 8th and Locust, 11th and Central, 20th and Central, 22nd and Central, Delhi and Asbury, and Grace and Grandview.
The 1937 Dubuque Consurvey Directory listed 3207 Central and 300 S. Main.
The 1939 Dubuque City Directory through 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 300 S. Main.
Standard Oil Company of Indiana was listed in the 1955 and 1957 Dubuque City Directory on Highway 20, Julien Township.
1. "Dubuque Has 14 Oil Companies on its Roster, Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, January 13, 1935, p. 31