"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




ROUSE, DEAN AND COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1873 advertisement in city directory.

ROUSE, DEAN AND COMPANY. Rouse and Dean, one of the major participants in Dubuque's BOAT BUILDING industry was an iron foundry and machine shop established in March 1852 on the corner of Ninth and Washington STREETS. The foundry, constructed between 1872 and 1894, once covered approximately 5,400 square feet. (1)

Among the company's lines of business was the manufacture of excursion boats for Iowa lakes. In 1873 the "Island Queen" was delivered to its new owners in Clear Lake, Iowa. In a trial run, the boat was able to go sixteen miles per hour. (2)

On April 15, 1880 the firm of Rouse and Dean was dissolved with the retirement of Hammond ROUSE. C.B. Dean, William HOPKINS, and J. McMurchy carried on business as Dean, Hopkins, & McMurchy. (3) Hopkins had been with the company for ten years, McMurchy, the new partner, learned the trade in Buffalo, New York. He moved on to become a manager of a large Chicago industrial business, superintendent of machinery for the N. W. C. Packet Company, and then United States government inspector for this district for two years. (4)

In 1906 the bell from the Rouse and Dean foundry in 1852 that was used to call the men to work was presented to the city fire department by Klauer Manufacturing. It was to be placed on the Central Engine House at Iowa and 9th STREETS. (5)

As part of the MILLWORK DISTRICT REVITALIZATION, the former foundry, often referred to as the "Alamo Building," was likely to become commercial property. Potential uses ranging from a restaurant/bar, private office, or event center. Work on renovating the building, one of or perhaps the oldest building in the Millwork District, began late in 2020 with the restoration of masonry and removing paint from joists and beams.

Work by GRONEN PROPERTIES/GRONEN RESTORATION in April, 2021 was meant to renovate the building enough to interest potential investors in the property. Salvaged brick were gathered to rebuild the south wall once a foundation was poured. Another eye-catching project was expected to be the reconstruction of the rooftop monitor--a raised structure with large windows which once stood on the roof to allow natural light to filter into the building. (6)

Rouse and Alfred TREDWAY began the IOWA IRON WORKS in 1881.

---

Source:

1. Montgomery, Jeff, "Iowa Tax Credits Approved for 3 Projects," Telegraph Herald, October 19, 2019, p. 3

2. "Fast Boat," Dubuque Herald, July 8, 1873, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18730708&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

3. "Dubuque County Before 1880," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal," October 20, 1933, p. 15

4. "Firm Change," Dubuque Herald, April 21, 1880, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18800421&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

5. "Klauer Company Makes Gift," Telegraph Herald, August 26, 1906

6. Montgomery, Jeff, ""Crews Bring New Life to Old Building," Telegraph Herald, April 30, 2021, p. 1A