"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




PELAN & RANDALL

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search

PELAN & RANDALL. The 1865 through 1868-69 Dubuque City Directory gave the address for this business as the foot of Southern Avenue.

The 1870-1871 through 1875-1876 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as Southern Avenue west of Locust.

In September 1877 with the level of the river so low, the company ran out of logs and had to close the mill leaving forty workmen unemployed. (1)

The news of May 1878 was that the company had established a new blacksmith shop in which tools and machinery were repaired. In early May the saw mill was able to resume business with a supply of logs expected soon. (2)

See: PELAN MILLS

---

Source:

1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, September 23, 1877, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18770923&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, May 2, 1878, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18780502&printsec=frontpage&hl=en