"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
OLD STONE CHURCH
OLD STONE CHURCH. Around 1833, a congregation was formed as a "missionary church in the wilderness." (1) This group of nineteen people, five men and fourteen women, placed the cornerstone for the Old Stone Church, their first permanent place of worship, built with the help of John KING at the corner of what became 8th and White. (2)
On May 12, 1839, Reverend James A. Clark, hired by the Congregational Home Mission Society, organized the congregation as the First Congregational Church of Dubuque. (3) Lack of funds led the congregation to suffer foreclosure on the Old Stone Church in 1844.
In 1877 the African American community purchased the building as a church. (4)
1. Hanson, Lyn. "History Highlights Celebration," Telegraph Herald, May 13, 1989, p. 8A
2. "Luck With Us as Usual," Dubuque Daily Herald, September 7, 1894, p. 4
4. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, September 7, 1877, p. 4. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18770907&printsec=frontpage&hl=en