"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

MYERS, TICE AND COMPANY. Myers, Tice and Company was the successor of ARMINGTON, MYERS & CO. Armington sold his interest in June 1870 to Walter C. Cox and the company was renamed. Offices and warehouses were located at 3 Iowa Street. The company annually used 350,000 pounds of tobacco for products sent throughout Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin Minnesota, California, and "the territories." In 1876 the company was supplying dealers in Colorado. (1) Sales annually were $300,000. (2)

The 1867 Dubuque City Directory and the 1868 Guide, Gazetteer and Directory of the Dubuque & Soux (sic) City Railroad stated that this business was located at 63 Main. According to the receipt, the salesroom was located at 322 Main while the factory was operating at 321 Iowa.

In February 1895 J. H. Tice retired. His interest in the company was purchased by Dorrance Dixon MYERS, Walter G.|Walter G. COX and George W. Myers. (3) The company was renamed became MYERS-COX COMPANY.

Trade Card
Trade card



1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, February 9, 1876, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18760209&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

2. Oldt, Franklin T. The History of Dubuque County, Iowa, Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 660. Online: http://books.google.com/books?id=u9xDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA660&lpg=PA660&dq=ARMINGTON,+MYERS+AND+COMPANY+%28DUBUQUE%29&source=bl&ots=0CpzHKDR7v&sig=DXoNCvzhy1Nn7eFikroEEIZHSJI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VvOjUoGjEITLrgHomoGACg&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=ARMINGTON%2C%20MYERS%20AND%20COMPANY%20%28DUBUQUE%29&f=false

3. "George Taken In," Dubuque Daily Herald, February 19, 1895, p. 5

The 1873-74 Dubuque City Directory listed 54 Main.

The 1884-1885 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed 322 Main.