"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
MISSISSIPPI HOUSE. According to the 1857-1858 through 1859-1860 Dubuque City Directory, this business was located on White between 5th and 6th. George ZUMHOF was the proprietor. All the furnishings, however, were offered for sale in 1863. (1)
On January 9, 1877 the Dubuque Herald carried the announcement that the name of the business had been changed to the Cleveland House. (2)
1. "Sale of Furniture," Dubuque Democratic Herald, October 27, 1863, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=A36e8EsbUSoC&dat=18631027&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, January 9, 1877, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18770109&printsec=frontpage&hl=en