"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Marshall School in 1883. Photo courtesy: William K. Hammel

MARSHALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. Originally known as Eagle Point School. Contracts for the construction of the school on the far north end of Dubuque were let in April 1883. The school was renamed Marshall on December 23, 1889. A playground for the school located at 1450 Rhomberg was dedicated in July of 1923. An annex for the building was opened in November 1924.

Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

Plans to replace the building were announced in August 1938, and approved by the board of education in November. Groundbreaking for the new building occurred on December 28, 1938. The cornerstone for the school was laid in April 1939. Marshall School was completed on January 23, 1940.

Photo: 2010