"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




MARSHALL, Jackson

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald

MARSHALL, Jackson. (LeMars, IA, Dec. 1, 1894--Dubuque, IA, Feb. 13, 1977). Marshall donated fifty-one acres of picturesque land north of town along West 32nd Street to the City of Dubuque. This land became the beautiful Marshall Park, home of the DUBUQUE ARBORETUM AND BOTANICAL GARDENS.

Marshall, the grandson of William MARSHALL, founder of the W. Marshall Boiler Works in Dubuque, worked for most of the city's principal industries installing and maintaining boilers until his 79th birthday. (1) One of Dubuque's first thirteen draftees during WORLD WAR I, he became an Army intelligence officer on the French war front.

Returning from the war, Marshall worked three years as a "boomer," a person who drifted from job to job before returning to Dubuque in 1922. In addition to his work on the city's boilers, Marshall performed in "The Pioneers," a barbershop quartet. He lived at 2605 Windsor Avenue and used his farmland as a retreat for himself and friends.

Marshall's hide-a-way near 32nd Street and Kennedy Road totaled 36 acres of meadow and about 15 acres of timber. He purchased the first 10 acres for $1,800 in 1938 and paid $1,200 for the other 41 acres the following year. (2) The land was valued at over $250,000 at the time of his death. Marshall originally offered the land to the Masonic Order as a local, state, or national retirement home for members.

Disagreement over whether money should be provided to maintain the land caused Jackson to offer his property to the City of Dubuque. The only conditions to his gift were that he be allowed to live occasionally in an old farmhouse on the property, that the city begin development of the area as a park within one year, and that the land would always be used as a park. The City accepted Jackson's offer in May, 1975.

Jmp.png

After his death it was learned that, in addition to the gift of his land, Marshall had also given $100,000 to the MASONIC TEMPLE. He was a member of the organization for over fifty years.

In 1975 Marshall was named FIRST CITIZEN AWARD by the TELEGRAPH HERALD.

---

Source:

1. Shaffer, James, "First Citizen Award," Telegraph Herald, December 31, 1975, p. 13

2. Ibid.

Dubuque Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, "Veterans Memorial" Online: http://www.dubuquearboretum.com/gardens/veterans-memorial/

"Jackson Marshall." Linwood Legacies. Online: http://www.linwoodlegacies.org/jackson-marshall.html