"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




HENRY LEMBECK AND COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Dubuque City Directory, 1857-1858. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

HENRY LEMBECK AND COMPANY. The 1856-1857 Dubuque City Directory gave the address as the corner of 11th and Orange.

The 1858-1859 though 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory gave the address for this business, planing mill, as the corner of 11th and Washington. The company was destroyed by fire on August 7, 1878. (1) By August 10th the company announced that it would rebuild using brick. (2)

The 1867 Dubuque City Directory gave no address for this business.

The 1868-69 Dubuque City Directory listed the southeast corner of 9th and Clay.

See: Henry LEMBECK

1859 advertisement from city directory.


---

Source:

1. "An $8,000 Blaze," Dubuque Herald, August 8, 1878, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18780808&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, August 10, 1878, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18780810&printsec=frontpage&hl=en