"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
FRUDDEN LUMBER COMPANY
FRUDDEN LUMBER COMPANY. A local lumber company incorporated in 1888 and capitalized at $35,000, Frudden Lumber was led by Arbst F. FRUDDEN, W. Frudden, and F. A. Rumpf. It originally advertised sales of lumber and coal. (1) In 1888 the company purchased the lumber yards of Rath Brothers and John A. Carton & Company which made up the entire lumber business of Ackley, Iowa. (2) With annual sales of approximately $300,000, the Frudden Company came to have branch lumberyards in Ackley, Charles City, Eagle Grove, Ossian and Marshalltown, Iowa.
The 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory listed 521-523 BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING.
The 1915 Dubuque City Directory and the 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory listed 523-25 Bank and Insurance Building as the address.
The 1939 Dubuque City Directory and 1942 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 1005 Dubuque Building.
The 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory and 1957 Dubuque City Directory listed 1005 American Trust Building.
The 1962 through 1977 Dubuque City Directory listed 1005 American Trust Building.
The 1980 and 1985 Dubuque City Directory listed 506 DUBUQUE BUILDING.
The 1987 through 1989 Dubuque City Directory listed 718 CyCare Plaza.
In October 1988 Frudden Lumber Company family-owned for three generations, was sold to the North Missouri Lumber Company of Manhattan, Kansas. Based at CYCARE Plaza, Frudden had forty employees and nine lumberyards in eastern Iowa.
1. "Local News in Brief," The Herald, September 19, 1888, p. 4
2. "Local News in Brief," The Herald, November 25, 1888, p. 8