"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Dubuque House. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
July 17, 1862. Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald
Photo courtesy: Bob Johnsen

DUBUQUE HOUSE. In 1856 the hotel's address was listed as Main, between 3rd and 4th. The proprietor was B. Mohen. (1)

According to the 1857-1858 Dubuque City Directory, this business was located on Main between 1st and 2nd.

The 1858-1859 through 1861 Dubuque City Directory listed Clay between 6th and 7th. S. Vaneschen was the proprietor.

The 1865 Dubuque City Directory listed Main between 1st and 2nd.

Major renovations were made to the establishment during 1878-1879 under the direction of Robert Jess, a former grocer in Dubuque. The saloon was converted into a dining room and the store adjoining was made into a saloon, office and sitting room partitioned off all on the main floor. Twenty bedrooms were located on the second and third floors. A large yard and "secure barn" offered "secure and warm quarters for the teams." (2)

The 1890-91 through 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as the southeast corner of Iowa and 4th.

The 1915 Dubuque City Directory through the 1918 Dubuque City Directory listed 396 Iowa as the address.

The 1922 Dubuque Telephone Directory and the 1929 Dubuque City Directory listed 398 Iowa.



1. "Inns of Yesteryear," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, April 30, 1933, p. 5

2. "The Dubuque House," Dubuque Herald, November 16, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18791116&printsec=frontpage&hl=en