"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE BOWLING LEAGUE
DUBUQUE BOWLING LEAGUE. In 1898 the City of Dubuque had only two regulation bowling alleys. In 1900 the interest in the sport had led to ten alleys--Schreiner and Stoltz had four, Marquette Hall had two, J. W. Dick had two, GERMANIA HALL had two, and two were to be constructed in St. Mary's parish in a new building. (1)
The Dubuque Bowling League was organized in 1900 with representatives from six local clubs including the Eurekas and Third Wards. The president was Nicholas J. SCHRUP, Sr. (2) In 1901 clubs included the Hendersons, Vici Kids, Nylies, Kelly's Kids, Reserves, and All Nations. (3) In 1904 the League included the M. M. Walkers, Dubuque Club, Bostons, and Fashions. (4)
Eight clubs belonged to the Dubuque Bowling League when it was re-organized in September 1915. The season began on October 4 at the B. M. Fitzgerald alleys. President of the League was William Stillson. Victor Dress was the vice-president and Paul Mannstedt was the secretary /treasurer.
1. "The Bowlers Are Active," Dubuque Herald, September 23, 1900, p. 5
2. "A Bowling League," Dubuque Herald, April 7, 1900, p. 4
3. "Standing of the Clubs," Dubuque Herald, November 24, 1901, p. 9
4. "Search Lights Winners," Dubuque Herald, December 16, 1904, p. 5