"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Photo courtesy: Bob Johnsen

DUBUQUE BISCUIT COMPANY. On April 2, 1905 the announcement was made that the articles of incorporation for the Dubuque Biscuit Company had been filed. The initial board of directors included John Trexler, S. J. McFarland, Louis Trexler, Carlton John Trexler, and George F. Acker. The officers were Louis Trexler, president; C. J. Trexler, vice-president; S. J. McFarland, treasurer; and J. R. McFarland, manager. (1)

The factory was built on the site of the former NATIONAL BISCUIT COMPANY at 6th and White. (2) Dubuque Biscuit was bought out by the WHITE HOUSE BISCUIT COMPANY.

The 1909 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as the corner of 9th and Jackson.

The 1915 Dubuque City Directory through 1918 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 901 Jackson as the address for this wholesaler.



1. "A Cracker Plant Will Be Built Soon," Telegraph Herald, April 2, 1905.