"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




DUBUQUE & EAST DUBUQUE FERRY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Eleanor

DUBUQUE & EAST DUBUQUE FERRY. Stockholders of the company met on January 12, 1903 and elected officers. These included M. J. Frentress, president; G E. Davis, vice-president, Herman Berg, secretary and treasurer; and Capt. W. H. Wisner, general manager. Articles of incorporation were file on January 13, 1903. A committee including Wisner and John F. KILLEEN was appointed to receive bids for a new ferry. (1)

For a short amount of time, the ferry operated without competition. This situation changed around 1905 when John Keckevoet obtained permission from the Dubuque city council to operate another ferry. Within a year, the Dubuque and East Dubuque Ferry was barely making a profit. (2)

The decision was stated in February, 1906 that the decision had been made to quit the business. The company would devote its efforts to developing Frentress Lake as a resort and picnic grounds. Mrs. Frentress had opened the Fentress and Ferry Company in 1905. If this failed, it was thought she would put up a fence around her property which encompassed nearly all the land around the lake. (3)

The 1909 and 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as the ICE HARBOR.

The 1915 Dubuque City Directory and the 1918 Dubuque and East Dubuque City Directory listed the foot of 2nd.

---

Source:

1. "Stock Holders Meeting," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, January 13, 1903, p. 8

2. "Plan to Quit Ferry Trade," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, February 18, 1906, p. 7

3. Ibid.