"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
CONTINENTAL OIL COMPANY
CONTINENTAL OIL COMPANY. On January 26, 1929 Marland Oil merged with Continental Oil and Transportation Co., forming a new company known as the Continental Oil Company (Conoco). The company owned nearly 3,000 wells and thousands of retail outlets in 30 states and was headquartered in Ponca City, OK. (1)
In October, 1930 the Continental Oil Company of Ponca, Oklahoma purchased a corner on Quarry Street on which to build an oil station. It was the third filling station in the area in which Quarry and North Main intersected. (2)
The 1934 Dubuque City Directory listed a bulk pit at 100 Railroad and a station at 503 Locust.
The 1939 Dubuque City Directory through 1942 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 100 Railroad Avenue.
The 1951 and 1955 Dubuque City Directory listed 99 Hill.
1. "ConocoPhillips," Online: https://www.conocophillips.com/about-us/our-history/1929-1910/
2. "Local News," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, October 1, 1930, p. 25