"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
CITY DRUG STORE
CITY DRUG STORE. In February 1872, Benjamin R. and John D. Powell came to Dubuque from Ottumwa. They leased a storefront in the Coates & Waters Block at the corner of Main and 9th streets and established the City Drug Store.
After two years, the lease expired and John Powell left the partnership. Benjamin Powell remained as the sole proprietor until August 1878 when he sold the business to Charles J. Brayton. (1) Powell remained in the capacity of a prescription clerk.
The drug store was located at 896 Main according to the 1878-79 and 1880 Dubuque City Directory.
"City Drug Store," Dubuque Herald, August 1, 1878, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18780801&printsec=frontpage&hl=en