"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




BRUNSKILL, Joseph

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search

Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/1416261/person/-1945193955/facts?_phsrc=TrL4354&_phstart=successSource

Brunskillp.png

BRUNSKILL, Joseph. (Yorkshire, England, Aug. 10, 1810--Mar. 5. 1898). Wishing to emigrate to America, Brunskill borrowed from his father-in-law to pay his passage to this country. After a voyage of six weeks in the "George Washington," he landed at New York and from there moved to Akron, Ohio. For three years he was employed chopping wood and as a general laborer and was soon able to repay his father-in-law.

On June 24, 1836, Brunskill came to Dubuque. After MINING for a time working for others, he took a partner and started out for himself. The smelter operated by Brunskill and Watters from 1845 near the present site of CENTER GROVE was one of the four earliest in the area. He conducted an extensive business until 1871 when he retired. He was also associated with the ROCKDALE MILL.

On March 1, 1833 he married Elizabeth Woodward who died in Dubuque Township on Thanksgiving Day in 1864. Twelve children were born of this marriage. The second marriage of Joseph Brunskill occurred June 20, 1881. He married Mrs. Ann Daykin, a sister of his former wife and a widow of Joseph Daykin who was born in England and died in Dubuque Township aged sixty two. Mr. and Mrs. Daykin had thirteen children of whom six were living with the new couple. Brunskill had twenty four grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

---

Source:

Portrait and Biographical Record of Dubuque, Jones and Clayton Counties, Iowa. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1894, p. 321