"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




BEECHER OIL COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigationJump to search
Opened by Joe Beecher who opened Beecher Oil Company, the building at 2705 Jackson was the Beecher Battery Company from 1922-1927 when it was bought by the Pline Battery Company. Photo courtesy: https://www.facebook.com/ykyguidiiyr/
2010 photo of Beecher's at 1691 Asbury.

BEECHER OIL COMPANY. In 2010, the Beecher family celebrated its 87th year in business. In 1923 Joseph Beecher opened his first gas station at 2375 Jackson where it remained in 2010.

In 1927 he built another station at 24th and White. When sons, John, Richard and Bob grew old enough, the business expanded to a tavern, gas station, and fuel oil business. In 1967 John died; Richard retired in 1989 when the property was sold to Rainbo Oil Company.

Beecher Oil Company in 1934 was listed at White and E. 24th.

The 1937 Dubuque City Directory through 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 32 E. 24th.

The 1955 Dubuque City Directory listed 2399 White.

The 1957 Dubuque City Directory listed 32 E. 24th.

The 1962 through 1980 Dubuque City Directory listed 1691 Asbury and 2399 White.

In 1980 the company had stations at 2399 White and 1691 Asbury.

The 1985 through 1987 Dubuque City Directory listed 2399 White.

In 2010 the only station was on Asbury. At the 1691 Asbury site, Bob, his wife Betty and their sons Craig and Brian developed a gas station, beverage store, a wholesale and retail liquor department and a popular ice cream and yogurt shop. Their slogan was, "For a Better Buy--Buy Beecher."

1955 advertisement. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

Source: "Chronology" Telegraph Herald, 1979 p. 15D