"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
APEL'S SUPERMARKET. As early as 1930 Merlin H. APEL owned and operated Apel's Supermarket at 1205 Cleveland Street. In 1946 he relocated the store to Dodge and Bryant (1195 Dodge) where he remained for twenty-two years before retiring in 1968. In a newspaper article in 1975, he commented that the store had its own coffee grinders. Everything came in bulk including sugar, prunes, raisins and cookies. Neighborhood grocers knew most of their customers personally.
Prepackaged goods came into grocery stores in 1941 or 1942. As the business increased, credit and delivery were discounted and cash and carry came into common use in 1957. Local groceries came under increased competition from grocery chains. The development of convenience stores brought an end to most of the neighborhood grocery stores which were often required to purchase more from their suppliers than they could sell.
Telegraph Herald, Aug. 11, 1974, p. 19
Telegraph Herald, Oct. 26, 1975, p. 35