"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
HARGER AND BLISH
HARGER AND BLISH. In 1910 Harger and Blish were the largest jobbers of "talking machines" between Chicago and the Pacific Coast handling their line of pianos, camera, office supplies, and music. The company was the exclusive representative of the Deckert piano and maintained the largest piano department in Iowa. It was also the state agent for the A. B. Dick line of copying machines and the eastern Iowa agency for the Globe-Wernike style of bookcase and the Eastman Kodak Company.
Harger and Blish was the oldest firm of stationers and music dealers in Iowa. A branch office was maintained in Des Moines. Locally the firm employed thirty-four people in addition to traveling salesmen.
The 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory located this business at 902-910 Main.
The 1899-1900 Dubuque City Directory and 1903 Dubuque County Rural Route Directory listed 904-910 Main.
The 1904-05 Dubuque City Directory located this business at 902-910 Main.
The 1909 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as the SECURITY BUILDING.
The 1911-1912 Dubuque City Directory listed 844 Main.
The 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory listed 159 Main as the address.
"The Largest Jobber of Talking Machines in Iowa is Here," Telegraph Herald, March 13, 1910, p. 1