"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
EU-QU-DUB. EU-QU-BUD, "Dubuque" spelled backwards, copied the secrecy of similar groups formed in New Orleans and St. Louis during the period. The group presented Harvest Moon Festivals for many years, perhaps one reason for the lack of success of the DUBUQUE COUNTY FAIR in the early 1920s. On August 24, 25, and 26, 1922 the organization presented a hugely popular Historical Pageant depicting Iowa history since the coming of Julien DUBUQUE. (1)
Financing festivals was done through the sale of admittance tickets, which were purchased, by businesses and individuals for distribution in any manner they chose. Business people could obtain more information at 622 BANK AND INSURANCE BUILDING or by dialing 1059.
The name also enjoyed popularity in the community as the name of a prominent restaurant, EUQUBUD CAFE, and a theatrical group.
In 1922 many civic leaders and some members of EU-QU-BUD proposed RAFFERTY SLOUGH as the ideal location for a municipal auditorium. The area was at the time being filled in and the city owned the land. The DUBUQUE ELECTRIC COMPANY favored the site because of the ease in establishing street-car facilities. The tracks were planned to loop around the grounds with spur tracks being available to bank cars to carry those in attendance after the closing of a program.
Those opposed to the site considered it out-of-the-way from the business center of the city. They pointed to many businesses along Iowa and Central that were located to the north. These people believed that city residents as well as those from the rural areas to accustomed to traveling to these areas and not a site south.
EU-QU-BUD pointed to the fact that with automobiles available one or two blocks did not make a difference. Since developers were planning on a basement parking area, there was less reason to be concerned with the location of the building.
On December 17, 1922 EU-QU-BUD announced, after a meeting, that it would lead the construction of the auditorium.
1. The Iowa Journal of History and Political, p. 591 https://www.google.com/search?q=Dubuque+Historical+Pageant&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a