"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL. Dubuque High School was opened in 1858 on the third floor of a building on the southwest corner of Central Avenue and 12th Street. The school enrolled one hundred ten students and had a staff of two teachers and one principal. The institution was moved to a building at 17th and Iowa STREETS in 1859 and then closed until 1866. Reasons given included the start of the CIVIL WAR, an economic depression, and a feeling among the residents of Dubuque that an elementary education was sufficient.
In 1866 the high school was reopened, and the classes that had been conducted in the ward schools were transferred to Turner Hall. The stage curtain and scenery present in the building were donated to the City. The District's administrative office was moved to the high school in 1872.
A complete high school course in the early years was three years in length. Each academic year included three terms. The first graduating class in 1870 had only two students, Sarah M. Belden and Mary A. Dorgan. Only twenty-five students graduated from the program between 1870 and 1876. The original teaching staff included the principal and up to three teachers.
By 1877 most courses were extended to four years. Four-year Latin, scientific and classical programs, and a two-year business course were offered. From 1877 to 1885 the number of graduates soared to 219. After 1885 the classical course was discontinued while the other two programs were continued with little change. When the board of education realized by 1895 that most students were choosing the two-year business program, it was discontinued, and high school became strictly a four-year program.
In 1893 the proposal to issue bonds in the amount of $75,000 to purchase a site and erect a new high school was approved by Dubuque voters by a margin of 956 to 235. CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL was dedicated on January 17, 1895.
In August 1920 the board of education purchased fifteen acres of farm land from MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH COLLEGE for $45,335. J. W. Royer was chosen as the architect with the general contractor being English Brothers from Champaign, Illinois. Hollow bricks for the interior walls were purchased from Heim and Sons of Dubuque while the stone work on the exterior was done by BYRNE BROTHERS. A special ventilating system changed the air in the twenty-six classrooms and auditorium every six and one-half minutes. Stairways were enclosed in fireproof walls and the corridor floors were constructed of cement and marble aggregate. The auditorium seated 1,166 and was designed with an old English style oak-beamed ceiling. This was remodeled in 2006-2007. The school's cafeteria was equipped to serve three hundred students at a time with two shifts of forty-five minutes each. (1)
Built at a cost of $766,179, Dubuque Senior High School was formally dedicated on February 9, 1923. An overflow crowd of four thousand caused many to be seated in the auditorium with others moved to the gymnasium. Speakers for the program spoke in one location and then moved to the other to allow everyone to hear. Enrollment the first year reached 733 students.
"Open House" played an early role in acquainting parents with the work of the school. On May 15, 1925 classes began at 2:00 p.m. instead of 9:00 a.m. and continued until 8:50 p.m. This was done to make it possible for parents who worked to attend. Every class was conducted, examples of work were displayed, and the cafeteria was open from 5:35 to 7:35 p.m. (2)
With the help of WPA funding, a girl's gymnasium, lockers, dressing rooms, shower rooms, football practice field, and band room were added to the school between 1923 and 1940. A new technical building and a gymnasium were dedicated on November 12, 1954. Additional classrooms and a library were added in 1965-1966 due to increasing enrollment. In 1990 a $5.3 million building addition to Senior included departmental learning centers, a new cafeteria/ commons area, a new library, computer labs, and additional classrooms.
Members of the school board and administration saw a preliminary sketch by Carl Hornstad of Decorah, Iowa for the Dubuque Senior High auditorium in June 1991. The graduating class planned to give the mural to the school to portray minorities and women in leadership roles. The sketch showed a woman working on a telephone pole, a black construction foreman and a professional woman calling on a wheelchair-using executive. (3) The board's curriculum committee chose to refine the sketch. The group decided that the woman working on a telephone pole should be wearing a hardhat. Three men standing at the construction site should include a Hispanic, Native American and an Asian. The indoor office scene should include a white man and a black man discussing business with a white woman in a wheelchair. (4) The mural, completed in a two-week period during the summer of 1991, was unveiled in late September. Donations had been received from students, city residents, and the Dubuque chapter of NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF COLORED PEOPLE (N.A.A.C.P.). (5)
In 1993 Dubuque Senior began a school within a school. The concept involved three teachers and approximately ninety incoming freshmen. Each school morning the students studied science, English and math with the three teachers who had the ability to adjust the schedule to fit unique learning opportunities. In the afternoon, the students returned to the larger school for elective courses. The idea was to make a large school seem smaller. The result was high academic success, high attendance, and high parent involvement. The $22,000 planning grant from the New Iowa Schools Development ran out and the school-within-a-school was ended for one year. It was revived in 1998 with the same three teachers and one hundred students. (6)
Dalzell Field, serving Senior and Hempstead, was the scene of a $10.5 million renovation in 2012-2013. The completed complex featured artificial turf, Musco sports lighting, a regulation eight-lane track, a 3,125 home bleacher section with an additional 1,500 visitor seats, an 11 x 20 feet digital display section on the scoreboard, new locker rooms, new concession stands, tickets booths and an $86,500 private donation-funded bronze statue of Jay BERWANGER. (7)
In February 2015, it was announced that a $25 million project involving renovations at Dubuque Senior was moving into the conceptual design phase. Architects' renovations would be funded by the 1-cent sales tax. (8) In the same month the school received three critic's choice banners at the Iowa High School Speech Association Large Group All-State Festival. It was the third time Senior received three banners in a single festival preceded by 1984 and 1987. (9)
Mr. D.M. Case, 1858
Dr. C.W. Catlin, 1858 - 1859
Mr. A.J. Townsend, 1858 - 1859
Mr. J.M. Brainard, 1859 - 1866
Mr. W.H. Beach, 1866 - 1867
Mr. Wells, 1867 - 1875
Mr. Peet, 1875 - 1877
Mr. Parker, 1877 - 1885
Mr. Compton, 1885 - 1889
Mr. Walker, 1889 - 1894
Mr. Smart, 1894 -
Mr. Gochanauer, 1895 - 1899
Mr. Smart, 1899 - 1901
Mr. Anderson, 1901 - 1903
Mr. Ehrlman, 1903 - 1914
Mr. Stevenson, 1914 - 1924
Ms. Hallmann, 1924 - 1925
Mr. Johnson, 1925 - 1944
Mr. Jackson, 1944 - 1947
Mr. Lee, 1947 - 1964
Dr. Kampschroer, 1964 - 1966
Mr. Darsee, 1966 - 1970
Mr. Don Kolsrud, 1970 - 1987
Mr. Larry Mitchell, 1987 - 2005
Ms. Kim Swift, 2005 - 2011
Mr. Rick Colpitts, 2011-2012
Mr. Dan Johnson, 2012-
1. Gibson, Michael. "Yesterday and Today," The Golden View, February 2014.
2. "Open House Day at Senior High," Telegraph Herald, May 10,, 1925, p. 7
3. Hanson, Lyn. "Preliminary Sketch Unveiled for Senior Auditorium Mural," Telegraph Herald, June 15, 1991, p. 4A
4. Krapfl, Mike. "Senior's School Within A School Back With Old Lesson Plan," Telegraph Herald, February 24, 1997, p. 1. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=aEyKTaVlRPYC&dat=19970224&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
5. Hanson, Lyn. "Panel Revises Artist's Conception For Senior Mural," Telegraph Herald, June 21, 1991, p. 3A 6. Arnold, Bill. "Mural Depicting Dubuque in 1900s Unveiled," Telegraph Herald, September 29, 1991, p. 3A
8. Becker, Stacey. "Principal: Renovations Sorely Needed at Senior." Telegraph Herald, February 12, 2015, p. 1
9. "2015: A By-The-Numbers Review of the Year in the Tri-States," Telegraph Herald, January 3, 2016, p. 1