"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 20:09, 18 January 2024 by Randylyon (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigationJump to search
Grand Reception Booklet
Photo courtesy: Daniel Boland
Advertising by the company.
Photo courtesy: Colin Lamb
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
c. 1912. Photographer unknown, “[Bottling room of the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 11, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/191.
c. 1912. Photographer unknown, “[Two men filling kegs at the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 11, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/186.
Partial map of Grant County, Wisconsin showing (right above Center Park) the land owned by the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company.
c. 1912. Photographer unknown, “[Men posing near a conveyor belt at the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 11, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/187.
c.1912. Photographer unknown, “[Workmen in the engine room of the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 11, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/189.
c.1912. Photographer unknown, “[Three men in a brewing room of the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 11, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/185.
c.1912. Photographer unknown, “[Five men packing crates at the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 11, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/182.
c.1912.Photographer unknown, “[Women with bottles of "Vimalt the Health Tonic"],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 12, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/184.
c.1912. Photographer unknown, “[Dubuque Brewing & Malting Company bottling room],” Loras College Digital Collections, accessed April 12, 2014, https://digitalcollections.loras.edu/items/show/176.
Trade Token. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Invitation to the grand opening of the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Dubuque Brewing and Malting circa 1909
Founders. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

DUBUQUE BREWING AND MALTING COMPANY. In 1890 an English syndicate which had purchased the major breweries in Cincinnati, Ohio and was attempting to purchase those in Milwaukee offered an option around $300,000 to purchase Heeb's, Glab's, Meuser's and Tschirgi and Schwind's breweries. (1) Had the purchase proceeded, the history of one of Dubuque's major industries would have been very different.

The organization of the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company resulted from a prohibitory law in Iowa. In 1892 there were an estimated fifty heirs of the four original brewers. Many of these people wanted to sell their interests, but were unable to do so because the Clark law and other enactments made brewery property practically unsaleable. (2) To enable the sale of these interests, the men owning the largest interests established the Dubuque Malting Company which took over the property of the heirs and paid them a rental. (3) Despite the prohibition law, brewing was continued so that an estimated 50,000 barrels of beer were produced annually. The owners planned that if the law were enforced or a new one passed, the Dubuque Malting Company could manufacture and sell brewers' supplies and all kinds of grain products. If the law was repealed, the managers could quickly convert the business into brewing and "reach out for the trade of the entire state." (4)

Joining together were the A. HEEB BREWING COMPANY, NORTHERN BREWING COMPANY, IOWA BREWERY, and the WESTERN BREWERY. Initially the new company used as its office the Heeb Brewery at 2127 Couler (Central). (5) The ten acre site chosen for the brewery was located at 30th and Jackson.

The firm of FRIDOLIN HEER & SON drew up the plans. (6) One of the unique characteristics of the plant was the absence of beer cellars or caves. A refrigeration plant costing between $50,000 and $60,000 made them obsolete. The entire building and its equipment was expected to cost between $250,000 to $275,000 (7) Construction began in 1895; the brewery opened for business on May 7, 1896. (8)

There were concerns in the community when the merger was announced. Citizens believed one or more of the breweries would be closed. Others were sure the merger would lead to higher prices. Neither took place. Prices remained the same and the four breweries were simply numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4. Branch 1, Heeb's Brewery, became the headquarters with the former barroom renovated into an office. Superintendent Titus SCHMID had two testing rooms each using a different process. One was located in Branch 1 while the other was located in Branch 2, the former Iowa Brewery. Because of its location, Branch 4, the former Western Brewery, was used primarily to supply the country trade.

Ensuring delivery were ten available teams of horses. (9) Distribution was also enhanced by efforts made to "set about building up a permanent business." "Agencies" were established at Dyersville, Cascade, Waterloo, Independence, Fort Dodge, Waukon, Spillville, Fairbanks, Worthington, Manson, Clayton, North Washington, Jackson Junction, Cresco and Conover. Trade in Illinois, Wisconsin and the Dakotas was solicited. (10)

On the opening day, an estimated 20,000 visitors inspected the plant. (11) The supply of 15,000 souvenirs the company had purchased for the event was exhausted by 2:00 p.m. (12) A report of the day stated that "toothsome edibles and the best brew in the country were as free as daylight and air." (13) Music was provided during the day by the DUBUQUE JUVENILE BAND in the refreshment house and the Original Italian Orchestra in the souvenir area. (14) At 3:00 p.m. Alphons Mattews, the master of ceremonies, introduced the president of the company, Nicholas GLAB who welcomed those in attendance. (15)

The resulting company covered ten acres with modern buildings and machinery costing $500,000. (16) The annual production capacity was 300,000 barrels of beer. Water was supplied from an artesian well on the premises; hops for the beer were imported from Bavaria. The refrigerating plant had a capacity of 200 tons of ice daily. (17) The company prided itself in handling telephone orders with delivery within an hour. During the summer, deliveries to homes were made between 7:00-9:00 p.m. (18)

Following the examples of other breweries, Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company constructed saloons in the area to sell its product. (19)

Outside of St. Louis and Milwaukee there were no businesses of its type that compared in size. (20) The plant, then considered the most modern of its type in the country, was estimated to have 224,500 square feet of floor space.

Photo courtesy: Jim Massey

Transportation of beer was handled by trucks, refrigerated railroad cars, and wagons. "Big electric trucks" operated in Dubuque for city delivery. (21) The first of their kind ever used in Iowa, the trucks operated with a twenty horse-power motor and 110-volt storage batteries that ran thirty miles on one charge. (22) The trucks weighed 9,800 pounds and could carry a load of 10,000 pounds at a speed of six miles per hour on level ground and could manage ten percent grades with a full load. (23) The company also owned a fleet of specially-designed refrigerated railroad cars. A herd of thirty horses was maintained by the company to pull wagons. (24)

Although the brewery was operated twenty-four hours daily, visitors were welcome at any time. A guide was provided to explain the operation of each of the departments. (25)

The brewery acquired a great deal of property. Many saloon operators simply rented from the brewery until laws were passed stating that breweries could not own and control other business property. To get around this law, the DUBUQUE REALTY COMPANY was formed. This business was nothing more than a holding company for the brewery which could continue to profit from the rented property. (26)

Laws were also passed that breweries in Iowa could only sell to licensed businesses. This law was evaded with the establishment, by Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company, of the East Dubuque Supply Company. Beer was sold to the supply company which then brought the beer back across the river for sale to anyone wishing to purchase it. (27)

Reverse glass counter sign. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey

On December 31, 1915 PROHIBITION closed the brewery. (28) Iowa was one of thirty-two states which went "dry" prior to the law being put into effect nationally in 1919. Operations however limited were moved to Wisconsin. Production of "near beer," rated at one-half of one-percent alcohol, was continued. (29) Legends persist that Alphonse CAPONE used the Dubuque facilities and shipped out illegal beer in milk cans.

      There was an outfit working in the old Dubuque Brewing
      and Malting Company building on Jackson. It was deserted,
      but we kept seeing trucks with egg crates pulling in. The
      Chicago gangsters had set up a multi-million dollar
      operation--a train would even back in to deliver sugar.
             Finally the feds came in. (30)
                            Max Eggelston

CORN BELT PACKING COMPANY, a local meat packing firm, was incorporated in 1917. (31) The company quickly moved into the former brewery and began extensive modifications. On October 12, 1919 the first hog was killed and the plant was formally opened. (32) In 1921 the plant employed 250 workers, but was not in business long. In 1924 the building became the property of the Citizens' Investment Company of Dubuque. (33)

Photo courtesy: Jim Massey

In 1933 the brewery was purchased by the Wisconsin Trades Corporation, a syndicate of Milwaukee investors, and renamed the Julien Dubuque Brewing Company. (34) As time passed, it was revealed that there were actually three groups of investors: Milwaukee and Waupun, Wisconsin; Chicago; and Springfield, Illinois. (35) Joseph Marko, a member of the syndicate and engineer in charge of construction and M.L. Blumenthal, the head of the syndicate, initially stated their belief that the brewery would be in operation by January 1, 1934 with a product to market by April, 1934. (36) A building permit was taken out by the group for $95,000 to use in remodeling and an estimated one hundred local workers were employed (37) The rehabilitated plant was expected to have a daily capacity of 1,000 barrels. (38) Profit on a barrel of beer was expected to be from $1.00 to $2.00 (39)

Hopes were raised by the passage in the Iowa legislature of a new beer bill which would allow the Dubuque brewery and others in Dubuque and throughout Iowa to compete with breweries out-of-state. Under the new law, breweries were permitted to manufacture and sell beer of not not than 4% alcohol by weight in the state and beer of an unlimited alcoholic content in Iowa for sale in other states. (40) Although the syndicate owned the building until 1937, it never reopened.

In 1937 hopes were raised that the building would have a new owner. Officials of the Chamber of Commerce announced that the newly organized U. S. Sugar and Syrup Refineries Inc. had purchased the building for a corn products refining plant. Cited as attractions for the business was the close proximity to corn, railroads and river transportation. (41) Officials of the company came to Dubuque in 1938 to inspect the building further. (42) Similar hopes were raised by the Illinois Cooperage Manufacturing Company in 1942.

The building was purchased by the H & W MOTOR EXPRESS and DUBUQUE PACKING COMPANY for $10,000. (43) The packing company agreed to restrictions placed on the use of the building so that it would not become a nuisance to the people living in the area. The building was used for ham storage. H & W used the premises for their home office.

H & W had the frame viaduct that connected the bottling department with the distribution building torn down. Extending across East 30th east of Washington Street, the viaduct, officials claimed, posed a fire and traffic hazard. (44)

In 1977 the home of the former Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company was recommended for placement on the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES. (45) The two corporate owners, H & W and the Dubuque Packing Company, protested the designation. A spokesman for Dubuque Pack stated that the designation might restrict the building's owners from "improving the property for use to the best advantage." (46) The Division of Historic Preservation of the Iowa State Historical Department removed the buildings from the Iowa register.

The city council hastily established a conservation district in November 2005 after learning the owners sought a demolition permit. (47) The original plan was to sell the bricks and steel at a profit, but historic preservationists pursued an avenue to prevent the structure's loss. As part of a conservation district, the Historic Preservation Commission got first review of demolition permits. The 30th Street section was sold to Auto and Truck Parks Inc. while the H & W parts were sold to 3M Development. (48)

In the fall of 2008 the city considered including the building in a new urban renewal district. The concept developed because the DUBUQUE STAMPING AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY was planning a multi-million dollar expansion project. The city could create tax incentives that would make it less expensive for a developer to expand, or restore a building here.

In 2010 the building became subject to the city's Demolition by Neglect enforcement ordinance. The building's condition made the cost of repairs exorbitant. The owners requested the conservation district be removed to provide them an opportunity to demolish the most deteriorated parts of the structure. They also contacted DUBUQUE MAIN STREET, LTD. for help in finding grants and funding sources. Potential funding included tax-increment financing, federal and state historic tax credits and new-market tax credits.

In 2016 building owner Jim Krueger was given until August 8th to give the city an "executed contract" for the building's stabilization or demolition. Krueger was cited in June for not having the building inspected by a structural engineer. According to court documents, the building then posed a "threat of imminent danger to the general public and surrounding property owners." A heavy rain in July caused part of the building's roof to collapse and a block of East 30th Street was closed in the interest of public safety. (49) On August 10, 2016 a report by IIW Engineers found the middle section of the building where the roof collapsed to be beyond salvage and needed to be demolished at an estimated cost of $715,000. (50)

On September 8, 2016 Jim Krueger announced that he had arranged a buyer for the property who would convert it into an apartment complex. (51) From outside the city, this person planned on investing between $26-30 million. (52) City and Gronen Properties officials, however, said that the sale was by no means final. John Gronen, owner of Gronen Properties said that he had a purchase agreement in place for several months for the portion owned by Krueger. LK Development & Storage LLC owned the portion of the property north of the section owned by Krueger. (53)

By November 16, 2016 another court deadline had been exceeded with no action. Krueger maintained he had a purchase agreement with SLE Investments LC. (54)

Announcement was made on March 21, 2017 that the local landmark had been sold to Steve Emerson, a developer from Cedar Rapids. Keith Wiggins, a real estate agent with NAI Iowa Realty Commercial, represented Emerson and had previously said the investor planned a $15 million to $20 million project of renovation. Emerson, present of architecture and design firm Aspect, Inc., was currently involved in a $15 million renovation of the former Smulekoff building in Cedar Rapids. (55)

While efforts to demolish the crumbling section of the building were scheduled to begin during the summer of 2017, developer Steve Emerson noted in June there were no clear plans for redevelopment of the 120-year-old building. He was pursing a federal redevelopment grant and workforce housing and historic preservation tax credits which would determine how the project proceeded. He had also inquired about tax-increment financing rebates through the City of Dubuque. (56)

In June 2018 the city council announced that it would hold a meeting on a proposal to provide $2.5 million in incentives to rehabilitate the building. Emerson had purchased the building for $865,000 in 2017. The city had already pledged up to $500,000 for DECONSTRUCTION costs. That would be recovered through tax-increment revenue as the valuation of the building increased with improvements. The city had also pledged tax-increment rebates for the work over ten years after the $500,000 was reimbursed. The city also pledged a grant of $850,000 through the Downtown Housing Creation Program if at east seventy-five apartment units were constructed and $35,000 for facade, design and planning and financial consultant expenses. (57)

The development plan called for Emerson to create at least 110 apartments in two phases. The first phase called for no less than 80 apartments for market-rate rental and the second for at least 30 apartments for market-rate or affordable rental. During the second phase the first floor was to be rehabilitated to provide not less than 17,500 square feet of commercial space. The agreement called for at least 194 parking spaces for tenants. The restoration of the demolished section of the building was scheduled to include a modern, glass treatment that would require the approval of the Iowa State Historical Preservation Office. (58)

On April 13, 2019 following high winds, a section of the complex detached and struck the sidewalk. Parts of Jackson and East 30th STREETS were closed for up to a week by debris and brick. Owners of the building continued to express hope that work on restoration could begin during the summer. (59).

To encourage the redevelopment of the former brewery, the city council on June 17, 2019 deliberated a proposal to increase city incentives to the developer by $850,000 with an additional five years of tax abatements. In June 2018, the council had approved $2.5 million in incentive including ten years of tax-increment-financing rebates. The developer had proposed a $30 million renovation to convert the building into mixed residential and retail space. (60)

On May 3, 2020 it was announced that the developer wished to rezone the property, which had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, from light-industrial use to downtown commercial district. According to the rezoning request Emerson intended to develop 82 one- and two-bedroom and efficiency apartments above 17,000 square feet of office, commercial and retail space. (61)

On February 7, 2022 the members of the city Council voted to approve a resolution canceling the agreement for the restoration of the building. City officials cited the developer for failing to meet project deadlines outlined in the original agreement and for failing to maintain the building which continued to deteriorate. (62)

A 2003 engineer's report by the firm of WHKS declared the building "posed a significant danger to the public."

                               Given the overall condition, height and proximity to Jackson
                               Street and E. 30th Street, it is our opinion that this building
                               poses a significant danger to the public.

The City responded by Jackson Street between East 29th and East 32nd. A portion of East 30th Street remained closed since June after city officials reported debris falling from the building. Sixteen properties surrounding the structure were sent letters informing them that they were within a potential "fall zone" if the building were to begin falling. Emerson, the owner, was given a two-week period to submit a plan to stabilize the building. (63)

On August 26, 2023 the owner of the building announced that work would begin in 'a week or two' to preserve architectural features and protect the public. Included in the plan was adding rubber membranes to the top of the towers which might then be removed by a crane and placed in the courtyard for restoration. Also planned was removal of the higher parts of the brick wall along East 30th Street down to a lime stone beltline. Two load-bearing walls would be stabilized with plates, steel cable and tensioned turn-buckles. The owner's plan was sent to WHKS, an East Dubuque engineering firm hired by the city to provide a structural analysis.

When Emerson purchased the building in 2017 the goal had been to spend $30 million on rehabilitation to convert the old brewery into a facility housing apartments, commercial, and retail space. Since the purchase, the building has cost the owner over $1.5 million to maintain including $1 million for the demolition of the middle section which was unstable. Emerson appealed to the city for help and was given an agreement that included $3.4 million in tax incentives. In February, 2022 that agreement was rescinded by the city which claimed Emerson had missed construction deadlines. (64)

In December, 2023 Jackson Street from East 29th to East 32nd was still closed due to the 'significant danger to the public.' Dubuque Housing and Community Development Director Alexis Steger informed the city council during the last week in December that she had still not received a final design for the stabilization plan for the building. This was despite Steve Emerson, the building's owner, being given an early December deadline to make the building safe again. When reached, Emerson stated that his engineers were assessing whether the condition of the southern portion of the building was strong enough to conduct stabilization at all. Emerson stated that if the decision was made that the southern portion was not safe enough, it might need to be demolished. (65)

On January 16, 2014 calling his decision to purchase the former Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company a 'very costly mistake,' Steve Emerson asked the Dubuque City Council for funding. Having determined the effort to stabilize the southern portion were not feasible, he asked the council to contribute $500,000 toward his planned demolition of the southern portion. City staff had stated that demolition would eliminate potential danger to the public and allow the reopening of Jackson Street which had already cost the city $75,000. Emerson had already been given permission to begin asbestos removal which had to be completed first. Emerson claimed that without the city contribution he would need to get a bank loan requiring a new appraisal of the building which would delay demolition as much as six months. (66)

Employees of the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company advertising VIMALT tonic about 1912. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
1902 advertisement. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey



1. "Breweries for Sale," The Herald, February 7, 1890, p. 4

2. "Dubuque Malting Company," Dubuque Daily Herald, April 12, 1892, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18920412&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

3. Ibid.

4. Ibid.

5. "Dubuque Once Great Brewing Center; In 1892 Four Breweries Did Rushing Business Here; One Covered Ten Acres," Telegraph Herald and Times Journal, Apr. 2, 1933, p. 3. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-_1QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Or4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=2911,6272068&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

6. Ibid.

7. "A Great Enterprise," Dubuque Daily Herald, August 22, 1894, p. 4

8. "Dubuque One Great Brewing Center..."

9. "Is a Big Concern," Dubuque Daily Herald, May 15, 1892, p. 8. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18920515&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

10. "New Brewery," The Dubuque Herald, August 4, 1895, p. 2

11. "Thousands Were There," Dubuque Sunday Herald, May 8, 1896, p. 8. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ugNBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=L6gMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1463,2878762&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

12. Ibid.

13. Ibid.

14. Ibid.

15. Ibid.

16. "Burgeoning Brewing," Telegraph Herald, July 14, 1977, p. 7. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=SNFBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OKoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6514,1733007&dq=a+heeb+brewing+company&hl=en

17. "Dubuque's Malting Company's Plant Unexcelled in Country, Telegraph Herald, February 28, 1910, p. 1. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=NClCAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gKoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3200,3769609&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

18. "Is a Big Concern"

19. "City and Country." The Carroll Herald, Dec. 6, 1905, p. 6. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=SoYoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xwUGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5847,742781&dq=northern+brewing+company+dubuque&hl=en

20. "Dubuque Once Great Brewing Center; In 1892 Four Breweries Did Rushing Business Here; One Covered Ten Acres," Telegraph Herald and Times Journal, Apr. 2, 1933, p. 3. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-_1QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Or4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=2911,6272068&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

21. Dubuque's Malting Company's Plant..."

22. Ibid.

23. Ibid.

24. Ibid.

25. Ibid.

26. "Dubuque Once Great Brewing Center..."

27. Ibid.

28. Ibid.

29. Schuster, Judy Burns. "Prohibition Began With a Shout and a Gurgle," Telegraph Herald, January 17, 1965, p. 5

30. Johnson, Elaine. "Expert Fisherman Recalls Good Old Days in Dubuque," Telegraph Herald, Aug. 26, 1979, p. 11. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5e9BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XKoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6845,3565704&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

31. "Dubuque Industries Served by Central Station Power #3--Corn Belt Packing Company," Telegraph Herald, Oct. 10, 1921, p. 5. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=E5ZSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vdAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6154,1246168&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

32. Ibid.

33. "Syndicate From Milwaukee Buys Corn Belt Plant," Telegraph Herald, July 9, 1933, p. 19. Online. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TB9RAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FL8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=6216,4194866&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

34. "Company Incorporates with $500,000 Capital Stock," Telegraph Herald, July 8, 1934, p. 12. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Lc5BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2akMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3436,1217824&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

35. "New Support Is Sought for Local Brewery," Telegraph Herald and Times-Journal, Oct. 21, 1934, p. 3. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2-hBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8KkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=7111,488320&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

36. "Work Underway at Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company," Telegraph Herald, July 30, 1933, p. 30. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Wx9RAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FL8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=1450,6512408&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

37. "Local Brewing Company Will Spend Big Sum," Telegraph Herald, Aug. 20, 1933, p. 1. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MmlFAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QrwMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1335,4934417&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

38. "Julien Dubuque Brewing Company," Telegraph Herald, July 15, 1934, p. 7. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=M85BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2akMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5317,2047706&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

39. "Brewing Firm Gets Support From Local Men," Telegraph Herald and Times-Journal, October, 3, 1934, p. 4. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GNZBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4qkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2046,5502465&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

40. "Dubuque Brew Plant Intends to Open Soon," Telegraph-Herald and Times-Journal, March 11, 1934, p. 1

41. "New Industry Buys Brewery Building Here," Telegraph Herald, Dec. 12, 1937, p. 1. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=VeRBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EKoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3780,3732847&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

42. "Refinery Officials Check Plant Here," Telegraph Herald, Jan. 16, 1938, p. 18. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LZJSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NaoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3827,1002122&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

43. "County Gets $10,000 Check for Building," Telegraph Herald, Nov. 26, 1940, p. 8. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FpJSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=IMsMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2449,4224719&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

44. "Old North End Landmark Removed As Hazard," Telegraph Herald, Aug. 10, 1941, p. 8. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2XRFAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ibwMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3248,1947561&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

45. "Washington Park and Two Buildings Receive Historic Nominations," Telegraph Herald, July 23, 1976, p. 8. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pQZRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=v8AMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5232,3575782&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

46. "Owners Want Historical Tag Lifted," Telegraph Herald, Dec. 29, 1977. p. 1. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AO9BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PaoMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6971,4295228&dq=dubuque+brewing+and+malting+company&hl=en

47. Kundert, Rob. "A Battle Brews Over Potential Demolition," Telegraph Herald, Nov. 21, 2005, P. 1A. Online: http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=DQ&p_theme=dq&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=10E08A9A45CE09C8&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

48. "Time Line in a Bottle," Telegraph Herald, Undated article

49. Jacobson, Ben. "City Offers Ultimatum on Old Brewery," Telegraph Herald, August 4, 2016, p. 1A

50. Barton, Thomas J. "Owner Says Crumbling Landmark is Being Sold," Telegraph Herald, November 16, 2016, p 2.

51. Montgomery, Jeff. "Complex Future for Former H & W Building?" Telegraph Herald, August 10, 2016, p. 2A

52. Barton, Thomas J. "Landmark to Gain New Lease on Life?" Telegraph Herald, September 10, 2016, p. 1A

53. Ibid.

54. Barton, "Owner Says..."

55. Barton, Thomas J. "Developer Purchases Crumbling Landmark," Telegraph Herald, March 21, 2017, p. 1

56. Barton, Thomas J. "Developer Discusses Plans for Crumbling Landmark," Telegraph Herald, June 18, 2017, p. 1A

57. Goldstein, Bennet, "City Might Help Rehab Historic Building," Telegraph Herald, June 2, 2018, p. 1A

58. Ibid. p. 2A

59. Kruse, John, "Windswept Building Closes Streets," Telegraph Herald, April 13, 2019, p. 1

60. Fisher, Benjamin, "Council Reassesses Incentive for Brewery Building Project," Telegraph Herald, June 15, 2019, p. 1A

61. Barton, Thomas J., "Board to Consider Rezoning Request for Landmark," Telegraph Herald, May 3, 2020, p. 7A

62. Kruse, John, "Last Call for Brewery Building," Telegraph Herald, February 5, 2022, p. 1A

63. "Action Needed on Dubuque Brewing and Malting Site," (Editorial), Telegraph Herald, August 20, 2023, p. 9A

64. Joos, Nick, "Owner of Dilapidated Building Submits Plan," Telegraph Herald, August 26, 2023, p. 1A

65. Kruse, John, "Demolition Brewing?" Telegraph Herald, December 22, 2023, p. 1A

66. Kruse, John, "City Council Hesitant to Help Pay for Demolition," Telegraph Herald, January 17, 2024, p. 1A

Information booklet accompanying Bob Reding's display of Dubuque memorabilia from 2007-2010 at the Old Jail

What is the Future of Dubuque's Iconic North End Brewing and Malting Complex?--http://www.preservationiowa.org/news/newsItem.php?id=106

Image courtesy: Cathy's Treasures
Employees pose for a picture. Photo courtesy: Don Davidshofer
Early deliveries depended upon teams of horses. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Advertising light for Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company railroad car
Brewing room. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding.
Corner sign notched to fit at the corner of a building. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Antique bottle openers. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Early delivery method. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Harnesses used by the delivery teams. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Photo courtesy: National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium
Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company barrel room. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Bottles used by the brewery. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company machinery. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Ink blotter. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Letterhead circa 1940. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Newspaper. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Etched glasses
Upon the death of an employee, the company gave the family this certificate into which a photograph could be added.
Matchsafe. Photo courtesy: You Know You Are From Dubuque
Bottom of a bottle marked for the company
Letterhead. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Keg Token-front
Keg Token-reverse
Token advertising $1.00 refund for 1/4 keg return.
Leather memo book
Ceramic porcelain bottle stopper-- This stopper once was held by a Lightning wire assembly on top of a blob top or crown top bottle which was typical for beer bottles made from the late 1880s through the invention of the crown cap and the crown top style of bottle. Beer bottles with ceramic stoppers like this were meant to be filled, a paper label applied to the unembossed side, possibly a neck label would also be applied, and the stopper set in place. The bottle was placed into a wooden case for delivery to a home or tavern.
Victorian embossed roses mat.
Bottle opener
Bottle opener
Shipping case.
Photo courtesy: Potosi Brewing Company
Ink blotter. Potosi Brewing Company
Reverse on glass sign. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Wooden sign. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Vimalt booklet advertisement cover. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Two of the inside pages of the advertisement. Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Order Card (face). Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Order Card (back). Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey