"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




C. W. ROBINSON COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 04:13, 7 March 2013 by Randylyon (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigationJump to search

C. W. ROBINSON COMPANY. Established in 1875 and located at Main and Railroad Avenue, this lumberyard covered an estimated ten acres. It operated only a cutting mill and was not involved in RAFTING. The company's annual production was between eight and ten million feet of lumber.

The 1880 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was to be found at 31 West Main.

The 1884-1885 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory listed the corner of Dodge and Locust as the address.

With the death of Robinson in 1891, the company was reorganized by two employees and became known as the Svendson-Ott Lumber Company. The interest owned by Svendson was purchased in 1896 by Joseph A. MEUSER and Peter J. SEIPPEL.