Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.” —Marshall Cohen, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association

"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"
"Duane Hagerty Historic Preservation Award"

ROOSTER FLOUR MILLS

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 01:15, 29 May 2013 by Randylyon (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
"Crowing for Rooster Flour." Photo courtesy: William Hammel.

ROOSTER FLOUR MILLS. Beginning operations on February 8, 1879, at Eighteenth and Pine STREETS, Rooster Flour Mills featured many automatic features and only three employees were needed. The mill has a capacity of 150 barrels daily with an annual production of about 5,400 tons of flour annually. This included wheat flour, rye flour, graham flour, buckwheat flour and pancake flour. The company also ground any grain the farmers brought in included bolted meal, coarse meal, chop feed, bran, and shorts. Besides its grinding business, the company sold oil meal, wheat, corn, oats, hay and straw. The 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory continued to list the corner of 18th and Pine as the company address.

The flour produced by the company was sold in Dubuque, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa.

The last flour was processed at the mill in 1933 when production was entirely converted to feed processing. The mill burned down on May 12, 1943. The company continued in operations selling equipment needed by farmers.

Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque
Letterhead. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Advertising clipboard.

The 1929 Dubuque City Directory through 1942 Dubuque Classified Business Directory listed 494 E. 18th.

The 1945 and 1957 Dubuque City Directory listed 145 W. 1st. The company also advertised that it sold poultry, hog, beef, rabbit, and dog food.