"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




HOLLENFELZ HOUSE: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(New page: left|thumb|150px|HOLLENFOELZ HOUSE. Located at 1651 White Street, the house was built in 1891 as the private home of Michael Hollenfelz, a wholesale liquor dealer....)
 
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:DSC01161_1.jpg|left|thumb|150px|]]HOLLENFOELZ HOUSE. Located at 1651 White Street, the house was built in 1891 as the private home of Michael Hollenfelz, a wholesale liquor dealer. In 1906 it was acquired by St. Mary's Parish and used as the [[SAINT MARY'S HIGH SCHOOL FOR BOYS]]. The building was later used from 1929 to 1957 as an elementary school.
[[Image:DSC01161_1.jpg|left|thumb|150px|]]HOLLENFOELZ HOUSE. Located at 1651 White Street, the house was built in 1891 as the private home of Michael Hollenfelz, a wholesale liquor dealer. In 1875 Hollenfelz invented a "pic nic" (sic) basket which featured an ice container in the center and separate compartments around it in which food could be stored. He took orders for baskets packed with "julips and other drinks." (1)
 
In 1906 the house was acquired by St. Mary's Parish and used as the [[ST. MARY'S HIGH SCHOOL FOR BOYS]]. The building was later used from 1929 to 1957 as an elementary school.


In 1977 the building, since converted into apartments, was listed on the [[NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES]].
In 1977 the building, since converted into apartments, was listed on the [[NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES]].
---
Source:
1. "Caught on the Fly," ''Dubuque Herald'', July 14, 1875, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18750714&printsec=frontpage&hl=en






[[Category: Buildings]]
[[Category: Buildings]]

Revision as of 19:39, 5 November 2015

DSC01161 1.jpg

HOLLENFOELZ HOUSE. Located at 1651 White Street, the house was built in 1891 as the private home of Michael Hollenfelz, a wholesale liquor dealer. In 1875 Hollenfelz invented a "pic nic" (sic) basket which featured an ice container in the center and separate compartments around it in which food could be stored. He took orders for baskets packed with "julips and other drinks." (1)

In 1906 the house was acquired by St. Mary's Parish and used as the ST. MARY'S HIGH SCHOOL FOR BOYS. The building was later used from 1929 to 1957 as an elementary school.

In 1977 the building, since converted into apartments, was listed on the NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES.

---

Source:

1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, July 14, 1875, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18750714&printsec=frontpage&hl=en