"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




ORDER OF THE HOLY CROSS: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with "ORDER OF THE HOLY CROSS. The Order was founded by Bishop John HENNESSY in early January, 1891. It occupied a building on Third Street, west of Bluff, that h...")
 
No edit summary
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
ORDER OF THE HOLY CROSS. The Order was founded by Bishop [[HENNESSY, John|John HENNESSY]] in early January, 1891. It occupied a building on Third Street, west of Bluff, that had been used by the [[SISTERS OF THE VISITATION]]. On January 31, 1891 the order had four members, all "young ladies from the county." Bishop Hennessy was the preceptor, but there was also a secular teacher of music.
ORDER OF THE HOLY CROSS. The Order was founded by Bishop [[HENNESSY, John|John HENNESSY]] in early January, 1891. It occupied a building on Third Street, west of Bluff, that had been used by the [[SISTERS OF THE VISITATION OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (SVM)]]. On January 31, 1891 the order had four members, all "young ladies from the county." Bishop Hennessy was the preceptor, but there was also a secular teacher of music.


The mission of the Order was to prepare teachers for the parochial schools.
The mission of the Order was to prepare teachers for the parochial schools.
Line 9: Line 9:
"Sisters of the Holy Cross," ''Dubuque Daily Herald'', January 31, 1891, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18910131&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
"Sisters of the Holy Cross," ''Dubuque Daily Herald'', January 31, 1891, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18910131&printsec=frontpage&hl=en


[[Category: Religious Orders]]
[[Category: Religious Order]]

Latest revision as of 23:14, 8 September 2016

ORDER OF THE HOLY CROSS. The Order was founded by Bishop John HENNESSY in early January, 1891. It occupied a building on Third Street, west of Bluff, that had been used by the SISTERS OF THE VISITATION OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (SVM). On January 31, 1891 the order had four members, all "young ladies from the county." Bishop Hennessy was the preceptor, but there was also a secular teacher of music.

The mission of the Order was to prepare teachers for the parochial schools.

---

Source:

"Sisters of the Holy Cross," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 31, 1891, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18910131&printsec=frontpage&hl=en