"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




MOORE'S MILL: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:moore'smill.gif|right|thumb|250px|The ruins of Moore's mill]]MOORE'S MILL. Prosperous lumber mill in the late 1800s. Moore's Mill was built in 1876 for $75,000 by W. H. and N. S. Moore.  
[[Image:moore'smill.gif|right|thumb|250px|The ruins of Moore's mill]]MOORE'S MILL. Prosperous lumber mill in the late 1800s. Martin H. and Newell S. Moore were two brothers who came to Dubuque in 1865 from Waterloo, Iowa where they had been involved in banking and lumbering. In 1866 they established the Dubuque Lumber Company and in 1867 constructed a lumber mill at a cost of $75,000. Its location was south of Dubuque near an area later called Rafferty slough and in recent years Maus Park. At its peak production, the mill was the second largest milling operation between Minneapolis and St. Louis.


Until 1876 when the second of two disastrous fires in six years closed the firm, the mill sawed logs that had been rafted down the [[MISSISSIPPI RIVER]]. Traces of the mill, which stood in the area now known as Maus Conservation Park, have been demolished over the years. See: [[DUBUQUE LUMBER COMPANY]]. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)
On April 29, 1870 the mill and machinery were destroyed by fire. Adequate insurance and the salvage of most of the lumber in the yard, however, allowed the company to resume business. In 1872 a second fire caused by sparks and cinders from a passing train. The fire resulted in $100,000 in damages. In 1876 a third fire destroyed part of the new mill and an estimated four million feel of lumber. This catastrophe forced one hundred workers each earning $10 per week out of work--a great economic blow to the community. Despite attempts to purchase logs from Tennessee and have them shipped to the mill, the operation was forced to close.   See: [[DUBUQUE LUMBER COMPANY]]. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)
 
---
 
Source:
 
Gibson, Michael. "Yesterday and Today," The Golden View, January, 2011


[[Category: Lumber Company]]
[[Category: Lumber Company]]

Revision as of 03:23, 3 January 2011

The ruins of Moore's mill

MOORE'S MILL. Prosperous lumber mill in the late 1800s. Martin H. and Newell S. Moore were two brothers who came to Dubuque in 1865 from Waterloo, Iowa where they had been involved in banking and lumbering. In 1866 they established the Dubuque Lumber Company and in 1867 constructed a lumber mill at a cost of $75,000. Its location was south of Dubuque near an area later called Rafferty slough and in recent years Maus Park. At its peak production, the mill was the second largest milling operation between Minneapolis and St. Louis.

On April 29, 1870 the mill and machinery were destroyed by fire. Adequate insurance and the salvage of most of the lumber in the yard, however, allowed the company to resume business. In 1872 a second fire caused by sparks and cinders from a passing train. The fire resulted in $100,000 in damages. In 1876 a third fire destroyed part of the new mill and an estimated four million feel of lumber. This catastrophe forced one hundred workers each earning $10 per week out of work--a great economic blow to the community. Despite attempts to purchase logs from Tennessee and have them shipped to the mill, the operation was forced to close. See: DUBUQUE LUMBER COMPANY. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)

---

Source:

Gibson, Michael. "Yesterday and Today," The Golden View, January, 2011