"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"
"Best on the Web"


Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES: Difference between revisions

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
No edit summary
 
(6 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:FOET.JPG|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES. Construction of the new home for the Eagles organization in Dubuque began in March 1970 on land behind [[KENNEDY MALL]] along Century Drive. The building was scheduled to be 60 x 90 feet and single story. The building and land involved a total cost of $85,000. The address eventually was listed as 1175 Century Drive. (1)
FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES. Construction of the new home for the Eagles organization in Dubuque began in March 1970 on land behind [[KENNEDY MALL]] along Century Drive. The building was scheduled to be 60 x 90 feet and single story. The building and land involved a total cost of $85,000. The address eventually was listed as 1175 Century Drive. (1)


Eagles Aerie 568 was organized in 1904 and least space in a building at 10th and Main. In 1908 with membership at 478, the organization relocated to 582 Locust Street, the site of the Herald Building. Constructed in the late 1870s, the building housed the offices of the Dubuque Herald. Renovations at a cost of $30,000 led to a reception room and library on the main floor. The ballroom on the third floor was the largest at the time in the city. The basement offered a recreation room. (2)
[[Image:eaglehome.jpg|left|thumb|250px|]]Eagles Aerie 568 was organized in 1904 and leased space in a building at 10th and Main. In 1908 with membership at 478, the organization relocated to 582 Locust Street, the site of the Herald Building. Constructed in the late 1870s, the building housed the offices of the Dubuque Herald.  


The building at that site was demolished as part of urban renewal. In 1975 [[ECUMENICAL TOWER]], the first use of urban renewal property for a non-commercial project, was constructed on the land. (3)
[[Image:FOET.JPG|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]Renovations at a cost of $30,000 led to a reception room and library on the main floor. The ballroom on the third floor was the largest at the time in the city. The basement offered a recreation room. (2)
 
[[Image:FOET1.png|left|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald]]The building at that site was demolished as part of urban renewal. In 1975 [[ECUMENICAL TOWER]], the first use of urban renewal property for a non-commercial project, was constructed on the land. (3)
[[Image:av32.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Matchbook. Photo courtesy: Mike Avitt]]


---
---
Line 16: Line 19:


[[Category: Organizations]]
[[Category: Organizations]]
[[Category: Matchbook]]

Latest revision as of 18:55, 18 March 2026

FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES. Construction of the new home for the Eagles organization in Dubuque began in March 1970 on land behind KENNEDY MALL along Century Drive. The building was scheduled to be 60 x 90 feet and single story. The building and land involved a total cost of $85,000. The address eventually was listed as 1175 Century Drive. (1)

Eagles Aerie 568 was organized in 1904 and leased space in a building at 10th and Main. In 1908 with membership at 478, the organization relocated to 582 Locust Street, the site of the Herald Building. Constructed in the late 1870s, the building housed the offices of the Dubuque Herald.

Photo courtesy: Bob Reding

Renovations at a cost of $30,000 led to a reception room and library on the main floor. The ballroom on the third floor was the largest at the time in the city. The basement offered a recreation room. (2)

Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald

The building at that site was demolished as part of urban renewal. In 1975 ECUMENICAL TOWER, the first use of urban renewal property for a non-commercial project, was constructed on the land. (3)

Matchbook. Photo courtesy: Mike Avitt

---

Source:

1. "New Eagles Home," Telegraph Herald, January 4, 1970, p. 6

2. Gibson, Michael. "Yesterday and Today," The Golden View, August, 2017, p. 12

3. Ibid., p. 13