"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
FIRST GERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
FIRST GERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Founded by Adrian VAN VLIET the stone church was constructed in 1856 at the corner of Iowa and 17th STREETS. It served its congregation until high water in 1876 undermined its foundation. The walls gradually began to spread apart and repair was impossible. In February 1896 the congregation decided to tear down the old building and construct a new church. (1)
The site eventually became the location of OUR LADY OF LOURDES.
1. "Another New Church," Dubuque Daily Herald, February 7, 1896, p. 8