"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
WOOD, George. (Franklin Co, MA, Jan. 7, 1829--Dubuque, IA, Feb. 4,1890). Wood came to Dubuque in the fall of 1858 and began the firm of Wood and Luke, which was replaced by WOOD, LUKE AND COMPANY. With two stores, one wholesale and one retail, the partnership remained in business until 1864. In 1865 the company became Wood, Sheffield and Company that operated the first wholesale dry goods store in Iowa. That business continued until 1869, when it changed to WOOD, CROCKER & CO., George D. Wood & Co., Wood, Coates & Co., and finally back to Wood, Crocker & Company. The company constructed the TOWN CLOCK building in 1872.
In 1864 Wood rescued First Congregational Church (now FIRST CONGREGATIONAL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST) from financial ruin by agreeing to settle a $14,000 debt with the church for $4,500. He also agreed on July 13, 1864, to purchase the parsonage of Dr. Holbrook for $3,500. This property was then deeded to Hosea B. Baker, Wood's brother-in-law. The property was passed down to Martha BAKER whose house was sometimes called "The Woodbine Cottage" for its mantel of rambling plants. Baker deeded the house and land back to the church through her will. The house was demolished to enable the construction of an educational building for the church.
Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 902